Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Who does your baby take after?

I'd had a c-sec for kutti's delivery and was in an anaesthetic fog when I first saw her. To be honest, I was in for a shock. She looked like her appa, to be more precise - like her thatha (appa's appa). Right down to the bald head! None of the rush of motherly love or tears of happiness. I felt miserable as a mother. For some reason, the connect didn't happen the way we see in movies or read in books.
The next day when I saw her properly, I started appreciating how beautiful she was. At 3.7 kgs, she was a nice fat baby, hardly like a frail newborn. Her little feet, and her littler hands - I loved them. Also, I found that she had my nose and ears:) I was ecstatic. Yes, my baby did have something that looked like me.
As she grows bigger, I like to think that she's looking more like me - atleast she looks more like me when I was a baby than my husband.

6 comments:

Anusha said...

hello! I came in here thru Tharini's...I agree with your first reaction - mine was similar, the mushy mushy feelings came in much later when all was quiet and it was just me and my newborn :)
As for my answer to your title q - we're still trying to figure that one out!!!

Miniyamma said...

Absolutely @!
And am I glad to know that so many moms felt this way. You feel like you are some freaky cold hearted person for not having tears of happiness flow down when you see the baby! And to be honest - kutti was not a pretty sight at all!

B o o said...

Mini - Bonding did nt come to me instantly either! After reading so many blogs, I think its just a myth!
By the way, I have linked you here indianmommies.blogspot.com. Hope thats ok!

Unknown said...

How sweet and honest...I wonder why the myth is perpetuated about the sudden rush of absolute love every mother has faced with a bawling newborn...

Lindsay Parker said...

Hello,
I have read your post on new born baby. It is really out of the world feeling, I can't explain it words that how much it feel like I saw my baby for very first time. I was doing job in vancouver pr agency, then I got start paining and I realised that my baby is coming. And after few hours an angel come in my life.

Eric Stalker said...

I really like your post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "Who does your baby take after?". Keep posting interesting post. After giving birth drink something in Moscow mule cups. It will make you healthy. My best friend recommend me that. So i gave tea and water to my wife in those cups.
Best regards
Eric stalker