Wednesday, April 18, 2007

How does one rise above the pettiness of others

There are lot of people one meets and sees who seem so dignified and are always so polite and charming. I sometimes wonder how they would react if someone were to cheat them or bad mouth them. Would they still be able to remain calm when provoked.
The way you interact with people is dependant on the kind of people they themselves are. If someone is nice and friendly, you also loosen up and are nice and friendly. If someone is serious, you tend to be the same way with them. But when somebody's being mean, how do you react without becoming mean yourself! I mean, most of us are not saints.
And how does one deal with someone like your MIL who you cannot wish away from your life, but who is not so nice behind your back and in front of you! When I got married, I was this really naive person who thought everybody in her husbands family was wonderful, especially her MIL. But down the line, one learns otherwise! The problem is that she goes on pretending to be the great person she is... and I am left spending a lot of productive time on things like - I should have replied like this when she said that...next time she comes down, I will behave like this...and so on. I've become a lesser person thanks to her!

4 comments:

Shobha said...

Hey, I completely empathise. I have similar MIL issues .. the meanness doesn't end. All I can say is don't lose heart and try and take the high road. ... that's what I tell myself too :)
Good luck!

Unknown said...

Hey, do what I've resolved to do, namely be a much nicer MIL when my turn comes round and hopefully break the karmic circle...some things will never change Miniyamma, no matter how much you try....I wonder why they hate us so much from the bottom of their hearts, and hope I never become the same mean spirited, meanmouther creature when the brat brings his bride home...

Miniyamma said...

That's sweet Kiran:) Am sure you'll be a wonderful MIL. Guess our generation will be better MILs with a better perspective and broad minds.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.